Animal boarding establishment licence

Anyone wishing to carry on the business of providing accommodation for other people’s dogs and cats, whether at a private or commercial dwelling, must obtain a licence.

When considering an application, we have a duty to ensure that the accommodation is suitable and the welfare of the animals are met.  An authorised officer together with a veterinary surgeon or practitioner authorised by the Council will inspect the premises to ensure their suitability.

You must not be disqualified from any of the following at the time of the application:

  • keeping an animal boarding establishment
  • keeping a pet shop under the Pet Animals Act 1951
  • keeping animals under the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1954
  • owning, keeping, being involved in the keeping or being entitled to control or influence the keeping of animals, dealing in animals or transporting or being involved in the transportation of animals under the Animals Welfare Act 2006
  • owning, keeping, dealing in or transporting animals under the Animal Health and Welfare (Scotland) Act 2006.

You are advised that before submitting an application, you should contact the Licensing Section on 01443 866750 to discuss your proposals and/or seek advice.

Should a licence be granted, the number of dogs and/or cats that may be accommodated will be specified on the licence and subject to our standard conditions of licence along with any other specific conditions.


Click here for a full list of licence fees

How to apply

Apply to run an animal boarding establishment

Renew your licence to run an animal boarding licence

Tell us about a change to your existing animal boarding establishment

You must provide a sketch plan of the premises to be licensed. For commercial boarding applications, you must also complete the attached form for each block that will accommodate animals.

Notice to Keepers of Animal Boarding Establishments (PDF 48kb)

Form A - Details of each block which may accomodate animals (PDF 48kb)

Privacy notice - Applications for licences/registrations issued in relation to the keeping of animals (PDF)

Tacit consent

If you have not heard from us within 28 days you can act as though your application has been granted. The start period runs from receipt of all documentation and payment of relevant fee.

Contact us