Licence to place objects on the highway

To place tables, chairs or other temporary furniture on the pavement in England and Wales you require a licence from your local authority.

Conditions of licence

Conditions of pavement licence (PDF)

Guidance notes

Street cafes on the highway: A guidance note for applicants (PDF)


The initial fees are as follows: -

  • £408 for refreshment facilities (to include VAT - £308 for planning approval for a change of use and £100 for highways approval)
  • £160 for a display / advert facility (to include VAT – £60 for planning approval and £100 for highways approval)
  • Ensuing annual renewal fee for the extension of the licence after the first 12 months will be £100, plus associated tables and chairs cost
  • Chairs are charged at £7.50 per charge per year (April-March) and tables are £30 each

How to apply

You can apply online.

Tacit consent

It is in the public interest that the council must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a 56 day period please contact us. You can do this online if you applied through the Flexible Support for Business service or use the contact details below.


Penallta House
Tredomen Park
Ystrad Mynach, Hengoed
CF82 7PG
Tel: 01495 235265