Scrap metal licence

A scrap metal dealer or motor salvage operator must have a licence to trade.

Licence fees

Click here for a full list of licence fees

How to apply

Scrap metal dealers - guidance notes (PDF)

Application form for a scrap metal licence (PDF)

County Borough Map (PDF)

Applicants must provide a Basic Disclosure Certificate from the Disclosure and Barring Service we now have a duty to assess the suitability of applicants for a scrap metal dealer's licence. You can apply for this certificate at

Applications can be submitted electronically. Completed forms should be delivered/posted to the Licensing Authority, Caerphilly County Borough Council, Penallta House, Tredomen Park, Ystrad Mynach, Hengoed. CF82 7PG.

If you wish to apply in person, the Licensing Section operates an appointment only system. Applicants who visit the offices without an appointment will not be seen and will not be able to leave their application at the premises. To make an appointment, please contact us.

What happens next?

Once you have completed the application process, we may consult other relevant bodies on your application, including, in particular, the Police, Environmental Health, Trading Standards, any other local authority and Environment Agency/Natural Resource Wales.

Following consultation, the Council has adopted a Scrap Metal Policy (PDF) which came into place on 1st January.  The Policy sets out the criteria which the Council will take into account when determining whether or not an applicant or existing licence holder is suitable to hold a scrap metal dealer’s licence.

If you have been convicted of a relevant offence, or we receive representations from any of the above bodies, you will be given notice that we propose to reject your application. In so doing, we must give you, or any other person named in the application, the opportunity to make representations. If you wish to make oral representations, you will have the right to appear before the appropriate Sub-Committee, which comprises elected members of the council.

Contact us