Becoming a councillor

Are you interested in representing local people and making a difference to local democracy? If so, read on and help shape the future of Caerphilly county borough.

Did you know that you can be paid whilst undertaking your councillor duties? Or that you can claim a number of allowances for being a councillor, such as reimbursement of cost of care for children or elderly dependents as well as travel costs. Wales needs more diverse, younger people from different backgrounds to stand at the next local elections in 2022. Could this be you? Watch this short film to find out more.


Criteria for becoming a councillor

To become a councillor of Caerphilly Council you must:

  • be 18 years of age or over and on the electoral register of the local authority that you wish to stand for
  • have worked in the area for the past 12 months or more
  • have occupied land in the area, either as an owner or tenant, for 12 months or more.

To assess whether you fit the criteria to become a councillor, please refer to the Local Government Act 1972, which outlines the qualification details in full.

You cannot be a councillor if you:

  • Work for Caerphilly County Borough Council; (this only applies to becoming a county borough councillors - not community councillors) or
  • Hold a politically restricted post in another authority; or
  • Are bankrupt; or
  • Have served a prison sentence (including suspended sentences) of 3 months or more within the last 5 years; or
  • Have been disqualified under legislation relating to illegal or corrupt practices

How do I become a councillor?

To become a councillor you must put yourself forward for election. Unless a casual vacancy arises within a ward, elections take place on the first Thursday in May once every four years.

To stand for election you must complete a nomination form. These forms are made available on the relevant upcoming elections page or can be requested by contacting electoral services.

To stand as a candidate you will need to provide:

  • A nomination paper, signed by 10 registered electors of the ward in which they are to stand
  • A certificate from the party's nominating officer, authorising your candidacy and use of the party's description and emblem
  • Written consent to your nomination

All documents must be returned to

The Returning Officer
Caerphilly County Borough Council
Penallta House
Tredomen Park
Ystrad Mynach
CF82 7PG

If an election is contested (there are more nominations than seats available), a poll will then take place on a specified date.

Support provided to councillors

Councillors have access to a range of support to assist them in their role:

  • Support and advice on any issue
  • A home computer, providing access to relevant council systems including email
  • Members induction programme
  • Comprehensive training package

Payments to councillors

If you are thinking of seeking election to become a councillor, here are some facts on what payments you would be entitled to receive.

Payments to councillors (PDF)

Contact us

Related Pages

Standing for election