Universal Credit

Universal Credit was introduced in the Caerphilly county borough on 5 September 2018.

You will need to claim Universal Credit if you are on a low income or out of work. It replaces: 

  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Jobseekers Allowance (income based)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (income based)
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit

Universal Credit includes a payment for help with your housing costs if you are liable to pay rent for where you live.

However, you can still claim Housing Benefit for help with your rent if you:

  • live in temporary, specified or supported accommodation or
  • are of state pension age

To apply for Universal Credit or Housing Benefit, please visit our make a claim section.

For enquiries please contact the housing benefits section.

For more information visit https://www.understandinguniversalcredit.gov.uk/new-to-universal-credit/is-it-for-me/.

Contact us

Related pages

Welfare reform