Household energy savings

If you are struggling to pay your fuel bills, contact your energy suppliers in the first instance. Most offer reduced tariffs for low-income or vulnerable people.

  • Nest Wales is a Welsh Government's scheme which aims to make homes warmer and more fuel-efficient
  • South East Wales Energy Advice Centre helps local people switch energy suppliers and make their home more energy efficient, helping reduce their domestic energy bills and keeping them warm in their home.
  • National Energy Action aims to eradicate fuel poverty and campaigns for greater investment in energy efficiency to help those who are poor and vulnerable.
  • Wales Energy Saving Trust provides independent advice on how to save energy in your home.

Cyd Cymru Charter

The Council have signed up to the Cyd Cymru Charter, a collective energy switching scheme for domestic homes in Wales, which aims to help local people reduce their domestic energy bills.

Cyd Cymru has been developed to offer people in Wales an opportunity to save money by coming together to buy fuel ‘in bulk’.

The scheme has been developed by Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan Councils, with support from the Welsh Government. To date, two switches have taken place between January and March 2014. Over 1,500 households switched saving an average of £185 per household.

The first step is for you to register your interest, providing as much detail about energy use as possible. This can be done online ( or by telephone (0800 093 5902). Residents must register by Sunday 18 October 2015.

The specially negotiated tariff offers will be sent to registered households in March 2016.  You will then be able to see how the offers compare with other tariffs available on the market. There is no obligation to switch and you will have two weeks to decide if you want to switch or not.

Local people are reminded that there are other switching groups which can be accessed independently by residents.

Helpu tariff from Welsh Water

If you’re a customer of Welsh Water and your total household income is £12,500 or less a year you may be entitled to up to 55% or an average of £250 off your water and sewerage bill with the new tariff from Welsh Water called Helpu. Visit the Welsh Water website for details and how to apply.

Claiming your winter fuel payments

If you are already in receipt of a state pension or other welfare benefit paid by the Department for Work and Pensions, you will automatically receive the payment. If not, you will need to make a claim. For more information call the winter fuel payment helpline 08459 151 515 or visit Gov.UK.