Replacement windows and doors

Guide to Extending Your Home

This guide will take you through the building control process and aims to show you how your project may be affected by Building Regulations. It contains advice on typical building projects such as extensions, garage conversions, loft conversions and cellar conversions.

Click here to view the guide >>

You need to comply with the building regulations when installing replacement windows, doors, or roof lights in both domestic and non-domestic buildings to reduce energy loss.

If you sell your property, your purchaser's surveyors will ask for evidence that any replacement glazing installed after April 2002 complies with the new building regulations.

There are two ways to prove compliance:

  • a certificate showing that the work has been done by an installer who is registered under the FENSA Scheme.
  • a certificate from your local authority saying that the installation has approval under the building regulations.

The FENSA Scheme

The scheme known as FENSA, which stands for Fenestration Self-Assessment, was set up by the Glass and Glazing Federation, and meets with central government approval. A sample of the work of every installer is inspected by FENSA appointed inspectors to ensure standards are maintained. FENSA then inform local authorities of all completed FENSA installations and issue certificates to householders confirming compliance.

If you arrange for an installation to be done by a firm that is not in the FENSA scheme, or done as a DIY project, you will need to contact us for approval under the building regulations. We know all the approved installers in the area and will be able to identify unauthorised work very easily. You should note that responsibility for ensuring that work has been undertaken in accordance with the building regulations rests with the owner of a property.

We strongly advise you that before you agree and sign a contract to buy replacement windows or doors, be sure to confirm that the installer is approved under the FENSA scheme. If not, you will need to apply to us for approval under the building regulations, for which there will be a charge.

For further information visit the FENSA website.

Contact us