Chaperoning children working in entertainment

A chaperone, also known as a matron, is someone who is licensed by a local authority to look after children who are working in entertainment. They make certain that the child does not work too many hours without proper breaks, education is provided in certain circumstances, and that the child's safety, comfort and welfare are taken care of at all times.

When is a chaperone needed?

School-age children, up to and including Year 11, who are taking part in or rehearsing for a public performance must by law be accompanied by a registered chaperone, if the child cannot be accompanied by their parents or carer.

These performances include any television, theatre, film or amateur performance as well as sporting activities or modelling.

Children involved in any performance, whether it is a village hall pantomime or a long running broadcast performance, will always need to be accompanied by a registered chaperone. Similarly, if the performance runs longer than three days the child will need a child performance licence.

How to register to become a chaperone

To register as a chaperone, you will need to apply to the local authority where you live. You will need an enhanced level of check from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and you will need to attend 'Safeguarding Children and Chaperone' training.

What do I need to do next?

You now need to make an appointment with the Child Employment Officer to arrange an interview to discuss your application. Please call on 01443 866689.


Children and Young Persons Act 1963, S.37

Children (Performance and activity) (Wales) Regulations 2015

Children and Young Persons Act 1933 and1963

Children (Performances) Regulations 1968

The Children (Performance) (Miscellaneous Amendments) Regulations 1998(1)

The Children (Performance) (Amendment) (No.2) Regulations 2000

Contact us